Try Me

Quotations to Live By

"No amount of advertising will make up for a bad product"

Rishad Tobaccowala, Chief Innovation Officer, Publicis Groupe Media

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Touch-N-Go: From Poor to Worse

This is just going to be a short rumbling exercise by me...

Yesterday, I forgot to bring my Smart Tag and Touch-N-Go card. So, I decided to buy an extra one (which means giving business to PLUS) at the toll. However, I was told by the toll person that I cannot buy it anymore from the toll booth, and instead I have to buy it from the PLUS station (which is highly inconvenient). That's terrible business sense and down right customer un-friendly.

As such.. I have decided to name a few things PLUS (Touch-N-Go) is doing terribly wrong from a customer of view:
1. Changing from an O.K. Smart Tag technology to a WORSE Smart Tag, and charging more for it
2. Changing from a convenient toll booth reload timing (7am to 10pm) to the most ILLOGICAL and inconvenient timing (9am to 4pm) 
3. Occasional (very often) error reading from a Smart Tag machine plus the fact that you have to drive really slow and very close to the 'reader' before your Smart Tag can be detected (look at the technology that Singapore has and you will know what I mean)
4. Changing from the ability to buy a new Touch-N-Go card at the toll booth to 'no more selling of cards' at toll booths.

This is what happens when a business is in  monopoly and there is nothing a consumer can do to 'punish' the provider. If there was real competition, PLUS would have folded long time ago.

To make things worse, the customers are also the people funding the incompetent provider, such as PLUS, either through direct revenue (toll charges) or indirect (tax - government subsidies).

And I am one very unhappy and angry customer.

-TURD-

No comments: