Try Me

Quotations to Live By

"No amount of advertising will make up for a bad product"

Rishad Tobaccowala, Chief Innovation Officer, Publicis Groupe Media

Friday, May 11, 2007

To intervene or not to intervene… that is the question.

The following was a question that I got a couple of months back:
“I’ve got two Department Heads reporting to me that recently went into an email debate. Normally how you handle the situation? Or there's no need to intervene?”

My response to him was:
“Based on my personal style, I would prefer to monitor the situation without intervention at the moment due to the reason that we are paying quite high salary to them to solve these kinds of problems.

If we intervene too early, it will beat the purpose to have them as a Department Head in the first place. This is especially true for situations that any solution is not 100% exactly right.

However, I would still monitor the situation up to a point when I am very sure of the solution and I want to make a decision to stop the discussion.

That is when I will intervene and make a decision once and for all.

Also, if I make the intervention too early, the Department Heads will start to be less and less accountable and committed to the project.”


Makes sense?

-TURD-

No comments: